This post is the last in a series discussing
a pattern I found in sequences of powers,
or exponents. I won't explain the pattern
again in this post, so if you'd like, taking
a look back at the previous posts would
be helpful.
In the previous posts in this series, I had
manually checked whether the pattern
applied for number systems 2, 3 and 10,
or binary, decimal and ternary bases.
However, in order to mathematically
explain this pattern, I have to find a valid
generalisation of the rule, and prove that
it applies to certain bases. Because the
rule was consistent only for bases 2 and 10,
I have to check whether it applies for
even-numbered bases.
But first, I'll find more exceptions to the
rule.
Base 4:
Using a little reasoning, I found the
following pattern for base 4.
Ending digit E.D. of powers Loop Length
0 0 1
1 1 1
2 4, 2 2
3 1, 3 2
I don't think this follows with the
previous bases' pattern, but we'll
continue to check other bases.
Base 5:
Ending digit E.D. of powers Loop Length
0 0 1
1 1 1
2 4, 3, 1, 2 4
3 4, 2, 1, 3 4
4 1, 4 2
Although this still doesn't show the kind
of pattern we wan't, it's interesting because
the base 10 pattern is the exact same thing,
but replicated once, creating a 1_1_4_4_2
pattern, but twice.
Base 6:
Ending digit E.D. of powers Loop Length
0 0 1
1 1 1
2 4, 2 2
3 3 1
4 4 1
5 1, 5 2
Finally! Apart from base 2 and 10, base 6
is the only number system to show this
pattern. The loop length repeats in a 1_1_2
pattern.
Unfortunately, this pattern is too irregular
to show any promise, so I will leave it at
this point.
a pattern I found in sequences of powers,
or exponents. I won't explain the pattern
again in this post, so if you'd like, taking
a look back at the previous posts would
be helpful.
In the previous posts in this series, I had
manually checked whether the pattern
applied for number systems 2, 3 and 10,
or binary, decimal and ternary bases.
However, in order to mathematically
explain this pattern, I have to find a valid
generalisation of the rule, and prove that
it applies to certain bases. Because the
rule was consistent only for bases 2 and 10,
I have to check whether it applies for
even-numbered bases.
But first, I'll find more exceptions to the
rule.
Base 4:
Using a little reasoning, I found the
following pattern for base 4.
Ending digit E.D. of powers Loop Length
0 0 1
1 1 1
2 4, 2 2
3 1, 3 2
I don't think this follows with the
previous bases' pattern, but we'll
continue to check other bases.
Base 5:
Ending digit E.D. of powers Loop Length
0 0 1
1 1 1
2 4, 3, 1, 2 4
3 4, 2, 1, 3 4
4 1, 4 2
Although this still doesn't show the kind
of pattern we wan't, it's interesting because
the base 10 pattern is the exact same thing,
but replicated once, creating a 1_1_4_4_2
pattern, but twice.
Base 6:
Ending digit E.D. of powers Loop Length
0 0 1
1 1 1
2 4, 2 2
3 3 1
4 4 1
5 1, 5 2
Finally! Apart from base 2 and 10, base 6
is the only number system to show this
pattern. The loop length repeats in a 1_1_2
pattern.
Unfortunately, this pattern is too irregular
to show any promise, so I will leave it at
this point.
No comments:
Post a Comment