I was reading my copy of THE PERFECT SAUSAGE
when I came across something interesting :
A section displaying what happens when you mess around with sequences of
numbers. If you write all the square numbers in a line, then the each difference between
consecutive terms will be the odd numbers in a line. The difference between
consecutive terms will now be a straight line of 2's, since every odd number is separated
by a difference of 2.
This simplifying down to a contiguous line caught my attention. I experimented with
cube numbers, taking the repeated differences of terms. Here it converged down to a
single line of 6's.
One might think it should have been a line of 3's such that the final difference should
match the exponent : Powers of 2 come to 2, so powers of 3 come to 3.
Experimenting further, I wrote out a line of power of 4's : 1, 16, 27, 64 ...
The differences of the differences of the differences of the differences
fiiinaaallyyy come to : a straight line of 24's. [Disappointingly small answer for so much toil]
You may have noticed a pattern at this point, I definitely did :
2, 6, 24 ... are simply the factorials of the exponent :
2! = 2 , 3! = 6 , 4! = 24 , .... and so on.
With powers of 5's, I wont bore you with the intermediate steps, I'll steam right through :
A STRAIGHT LINE OF 120's. And as predicted, 5! = 120.
I still do not have a proof.
If someone has struck on a proof which I oversaw, please enter it in the comments section.

No comments:
Post a Comment