TRANSLATE

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Patterns of letters

Since I use my computer a lot, like a
number of people, I am quite familiar
with the layout of my keyboard, the
common QWERTY Keyboard.

And this leads me to start thinking that
way i.e. Keyboard-oriented. So whenever
I come across a word, say, more than 3-4
alphabets long, I unconsciously arrange
the letters on a computer keyboard. For
example, PLAY appears as a quadrilateral
shape in the upper part of the keyboard,
almost a trapezium, also known as a
trapezoid.

This, as you might have guessed, leads to
strange things happening:

Firstly, I start to do this when I'm bored,
tired, tense and when I'm relaxed. This
actually helps me, as it takes my mind off
things, and replaces my previous
stress-reliever: Having songs stuck in my head.

Second: I start to find some words which have
some interesting properties. For example, in
TUNE, the letters E, T and U, which are on the
top row of the keyboard, are equally spaced out,
with one letter in between each of them.

Third: I start to think of words differently.
REEDS is like a concentrated word, with 2
repetitions of E and with most of the word being
placed in the top-left part. TEKKEN, on the
other hand appears as a 'sharp' word, violently
jumping from one part of the keyboard to another,
almost cutting it in 2 pieces.

Fourth: I form a kind of networked classification
of words. Like first, at the top, is all the words.
This then splits into words with consecutive letters, and
words with evenly spaced-out letters. Then these
further split into more exotic forms of each.


Some of these words are:

  1. SAD ( All consecutive letters - 3)
  2. FADS ( All consecutive letters - 4)
  3. FIGHT ( F, G, H are consecutive - 3)
  4. BECOME ( C, B, M are equally spaced - 3) Also, nicely shaped. See for yourself.
  5. PUBLISHED ( 2 pairs of consecutive letters - 2, 2)
  6. BUILDING ( 2 pairs of consecutive letters - 2, 2)
  7. UNTRUTHFULLY ( 4 consecutive letters - 4)
So, these are the ones I remembered. If I find anymore, 
I will share it. In the mean time, put some of your own 
in the comments. One last thing I noticed was that this 
happens least when I'm typing!


Update: I found a few more words like this-
  1. HUMBLE (Equally spaced across the 3 rows of the keyboard.)
  2. REALLY (Equally spaced across the top 2 rows of the keyboard.)

Update # 2: I found another set of words that were even more cool-
  1. FRESH (No.1- E and R are consecutive. No.2- S, F and H are equally spaced.)
  2. TREATS (No.1- E, R and T are consecutive. No.2- A and S are consecutive.)
  3. RAMBLE (Equally spaced across the 3 rows of the keyboard.)
  4. RAGE (Equally spaced across the top 2 rows of the keyboard.)

No comments:

Post a Comment