TRANSLATE

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Codes #2

I hoped you enjoyed the prequel to this post,
Codes #1. Today I'd like to introduce the shifting
cipher and the random cipher.

THE SHIFTING CIPHER
This works as usual- align your 2 alphabet belts
under each other, but this time every time you encode
a letter or word, you shift the lower belt one or more
times in any direction.
Make sure the person receiving the code knows how
you are going to shift the encoder each time.

This method was the precursor to the enigma machine,
the powerful encoding device used by Germany in
World War 2.

THE RANDOM CIPHER
In this system, you become really careful as you don't
leave anything to chance. Here, you make up your own
random substitution. Like-

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Q A Z W S X E D C R F V T G B Y H N U J M I K O L P

Now, you can be sure that no one except your recipient 
will decode the message, unless you 'misplace' the encoder.

No comments:

Post a Comment