TRANSLATE

Friday, September 6, 2013

Pythagoras' Theorem

For those of you unfamiliar with Pythagoras'
Theorem, I'll explain it right now:

If you have the following right triangle,
then you can relate the lengths of the sides
with this neat little equation:

a+ b2 = c2

This property is useful in real life as the
length of a side is unknown and the most basic
figure formed by intersecting lines is the triangle.

Here I had a little idea myself about this property,
but when I showed it to my teacher, she said it's
impossible to do it. I think differently:

I said it was possible to, given one length,
find the other 2 sides. I've formulated this into 
2 short algorithms(the shortest side also has to be
greater than 2). You also need to use an odd number. 

ODD NUMBERS
  • Original number- (This is your first number.)
  • Square it. 
  • Subtract one.
  • Divide by 2.(call this number- b, your second number.
  • Add one.(call this number- c, your third number.)
The numbers you get from this, will satisfy 
Pythagoras' Theorem.

1 comment: