TRANSLATE

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Codes #1

I've been reading about codes and how 
they've been sent for a long time, and I'd 
like to start a series of posts dedicated to 
this because of cryptography's relation 
with maths and also because of its sheer 
content to discuss.
So, I'll be starting with basic Caesar Ciphers 
and then more in-depth material as it moves 
on. I'll also pitch in some personal thoughts 
and ideas.

All codes are basically substitution ciphers, 
where one letter is replaced by another letter, 
or number, in more complex codes.
The caesar cipher is one of the oldest codes 
ever, but still captures the fundamental idea of 
cryptography. Here's how it works:

Pick any letter in the alphabet 
other than 'a'. Then write down 
the alphabet. Below it, write 
the alphabet again, only starting 
from the letter you picked.(ex: k)-

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z A B C D E F G H I J

Now that you have this, you are ready to encode!
Suppose you want to secretly message: CHEESE, 
then you check where C is, where H is, etc.

C- M
H- R
E- O
E- O
S- C
E- O

So, the message becomes MROOCO.
See if you can do the reverse and find out 
what this means: 

Led, drsc dizo yp myno sc okci dy nomyno.

No comments:

Post a Comment