In the last post, the one just below this one,
I wrote about how frustratingly difficult it is
to solve the differences of differences problem.
Although this isn't a complete proof, I decide to
go brute force and solve 'em one-by-one. I am
starting with a line of squares, so here goes:
1 4 9 16 25...
3 5 7 9...
2 2 2...
Now although I got a line of 2s for the first 5 square
numbers, I have to show it applies for the rest of the
sequence. I do this algebraically:
Let the first number be n2.
The second number becomes(n+1)2.
Difference= 2n+1.
'First number' can be generalised to 'any
number in the sequence', and since 2n+1
represents an odd number, increasing ns
will produce a line of consecutive odd
numbers. And what is the difference between
consecutive odd numbers? Exactly, 2.
So that proves the case for 2, but it is nowhere near a complete proof.
It might be possible to do that with cubes:
Let the first number be n^3.
The second number becomes(n+1)^3.
Difference= 3n2+3n+1.
That's a line of (3n2+3n+1), with an
increasing n.
New sequence:
Let the first number be 3n2+3n+1.
The second number becomes 3(n+1)2+3(n+1)+1.
Difference= 6n+6.
Now with 6n+6, the difference = 6.
So that solves it for 3.
I'm guessing you can also do that for higher bases, but you can't
keep doing it for every exponent.
Let the first number be n2.
The second number becomes(n+1)2.
Difference= 2n+1.
'First number' can be generalised to 'any
number in the sequence', and since 2n+1
represents an odd number, increasing ns
will produce a line of consecutive odd
numbers. And what is the difference between
consecutive odd numbers? Exactly, 2.
So that proves the case for 2, but it is nowhere near a complete proof.
It might be possible to do that with cubes:
Let the first number be n^3.
The second number becomes(n+1)^3.
Difference= 3n2+3n+1.
That's a line of (3n2+3n+1), with an
increasing n.
New sequence:
Let the first number be 3n2+3n+1.
The second number becomes 3(n+1)2+3(n+1)+1.
Difference= 6n+6.
Now with 6n+6, the difference = 6.
So that solves it for 3.
I'm guessing you can also do that for higher bases, but you can't
keep doing it for every exponent.
No comments:
Post a Comment